We're adding extra lanes to the Monash Freeway between Warrigal and Cardinia Roads to make your journey quicker, easier and safer.
Stage 2 update
Works are ramping up on the Monash Freeway as we continue transforming this vital transport corridor.
What we’re doing
Over the coming months construction works will include:
- installing safety barriers along the centre median of the freeway
- conducting new line marking, to shift traffic sideways to make room for the new lanes
- building a temporary lane on the shoulder of the freeway
- identifying and relocating underground utilities
- excavating, boring and piling (digging vertically into the ground)
- building the foundations and protection barriers for the new overhead electronic signage
- strengthening the bridges at Police, Jacksons, Forster and Ferntree Gully Roads to prepare them for widening
- trimming and removing some vegetation in the centre median and along the freeway corridor
- removing existing asphalt behind safety barriers.
What you can expect
Work hours will be between 7am and 6pm, Monday to Saturday and 7pm and 5am, Sunday to Friday, weather permitting.
There will be ongoing lane and ramp closures on the freeway to allow us to conduct these works safely.
There will also be short-term closures on arterial roads that intersect the Monash Freeway to enable us to safely strengthen the freeway bridges that run across them, to prepare them for widening.
There will be speed reductions in place and changed traffic conditions. For more information about disruptions, visit Victoria’s Big Build.
Construction is expected to be completed in 2022.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.