We're improving access to the freeway and popular tourist attractions in Werribee.
Duncans Road Interchange - Major works commencing soon
Works have progressed well over the summer period with the installation of bridge beams for the new Duncans Road bridge. We also started preparing for works at the Duncans and K Road intersection and at the entrance to the Melbourne-bound freeway ramp.
Most of our works have happened behind barriers, but over the next few months we will need to close lanes and roads to complete some significant works.
- 16 April - 8 May
On Duncans Road, on the Werribee side of the freeway (near the Melbourne-bound entry ramp) we will build the lanes to the new bridge over the freeway. This will involve closing the right turn lane, for people heading north on Duncans Road and turning right to head to Melbourne on the freeway. Detours will be in place.
- 17 - 19 April
We will lift the final beams onto the new bridge over the outbound lanes of the freeway. This will involve overnight closures of the outbound lanes of the Princes freeway and some of the inbound lanes.
- 8 - 31 May
The intersection of K and Duncans Road will be closed for 23 days to allow us to build the southern lanes to the new bridge over the freeway. We will also build the new intersection at K Road and Duncans Road.
- Mid-to-late June
Planning is still in progress for a full closure of the Princes Freeway in mid-to-late June when we will demolish the old bridge.
There will be significant disruptions and road closures which will impact your regular travel route. Please plan ahead and allow extra travel time.
For more information about disruptions see Victoria’s Big Build.
Why the Duncans Road Interchange?
More than 11,000 cars and trucks use the Duncans Road interchange every day, with this number surging during events in the tourism precinct.
The interchange is a key route for a number of growing suburbs, connecting you to the Werribee town centre and Wyndham Harbour.
The existing bridge was built in 1959 and struggles with today’s traffic volumes. Additionally, there’s no outbound freeway exit and no inbound freeway entrance to and from Geelong.
This upgrade will make traffic flow better, so you can get to where you need to be sooner and safer.
At the Duncans Road interchange we’re:
- building new exit ramps from the Princes Freeway to Duncans Road
- building two new bridges over the Princes Freeway, providing two lanes in each direction
- adding two new ramps for the Princes Freeway at Duncans Road with an entrance for Geelong-bound traffic and an exit for traffic coming from Geelong
- improving the intersection of K Road and Duncans Road
- building new walking and cycling paths along Duncans Road and safe road crossing areas.
Here are just some of the benefits you’ll experience when travelling on this busy road:
- improved journeys to world class tourist attractions, including Werribee Open Range Zoo, Werribee Mansion, the National Equestrian Centre and the Victorian State Rose Garden
- new ramps will make it easier to get to and from Geelong
- reduced congestion and increased safety by improving the busy K Road intersection
- better access for locals to shops and jobs.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.