We're making it easier for you to travel north and south between the Western and Princes freeways.
Palmers Road, Truganina
As part of the upgrade, we'll be closing the intersection at Palmers and Sayers Road from Friday 26 June to Monday 13 July. Delays are expected. Detours will be in place.
We'll have the following additional closures in place:
Robinsons Road outbound exit ramp
We'll close the Western Freeway outbound exit ramp at Robinsons Road each night from 9pm to 5am from Tuesday 9 June to Monday 29 June.
Palmers Road intersection:
- Freya Drive intersection closed from 8pm, Thursday 18 June until mid-July
- The entrance to the Palmers Road service road, near the corner of Opsum Way closed to the end of July 2020.
Moving traffic to new lanes and changed traffic conditions
From mid-June, we’ll start preparing for traffic to move onto the new traffic lanes between Western Freeway and Sayers Road, keeping one lane open in each direction. Once traffic has moved onto the new lanes, we’ll lay new asphalt on the old lanes.
Drivers should be prepared to change from one side of the road to the other.
To help you with these changes, you'll be guided by:
- temporary line markings
- signs and traffic bollards, and
- traffic controllers, who will be on site to guide drivers.
When will this happen?
Traffic switches will take place from late-June, 8pm to 5am:
- between Dohertys Road and Distribution Drive
- north of Boundary Road to south of Agar Drive.
These dates are subject to change and dependent on weather. Our roadside electronic message boards will be kept up to date and will show any changes. You can also keep up to date by visiting Victoria's Big Build for disruptions across the road and public transport network.
In June/July we’ll also:
- commence upgrading the intersection of Sayers and Palmers roads. The intersection will be closed for two weeks from Friday 26 June to Monday 13 July
- commence upgrading Leakes Road intersection to install traffic lights
- commence upgrading Dunes drainage system at the intersection of Boundary Road and Palmers Road
- continue works on the Federation Trail.
Why Palmers Road?
More than 20,000 cars and trucks rely on Palmers Road every day.
It provides important access to the Western Freeway in Truganina and the Princes Freeway in Williams Landing. It also connects residents in Melbourne’s growing outer west to Williams Landing shopping centre, bus services and the train station.
We understand that during peak times, you experience big delays on this this road.
This upgrade will make traffic and public transport flow better so you can get to where you need to be sooner and safer.
On Palmers Road, between Princes Freeway and Western Freeway we’re:
- adding two extra lanes in each direction between Princes Freeway and Sayers Road
- adding one extra lane in each direction between Sayers Road and Boundary Road
- adding two extra lanes in each direction between Boundary Road and Western Freeway
- upgrading intersections
- building new walking and cycling paths and a new overpass for the Federation Trail
- straightening out Palmers Road at the Sayers Road intersection
- introducing bus jump lanes at key intersections.
Here are just some of the benefits you’ll enjoy with the Palmers Road upgrade:
- improved journeys between two major freeways in the west
- better access to public transport, jobs and community hubs
- safer walking and cycling options
- getting you places sooner and safer by upgrading intersections and straightening out Palmers Road.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.