We're upgrading 8 main roads in Melbourne's west as well as improving and maintaining more than 260km of road from Footscray to Werribee.
At the beginning of 2019, we concentrated on resurfacing sections of roads in the inner west. From mid-2019, we started to resurface roads in the outer west with over seventy percent of roads now resurfaced. We’ve also repaired faults at major intersections such as the Millers Road/Prince Highway and Ballarat Road/Station Street intersections.
In the first quarter of 2020, we completed resurfacing sections of:
- Queen Street, Altona
- Ballan Road, Wyndham Vale
- Old Geelong Road, Hoppers Crossing
- Gordons Road, Footscray
- Hopkins Road, Rockbank.
We’re currently resurfacing sections of Kororoit Creek Road, Altona and Heaths Road, Werribee (where rehabilitation is not required).
We’re finalising plans to resurface Civic Parade, Altona, Bolton Road, Wyndham Vale and Central Avenue, Altona Meadows by May 2020.
We’ve started works to rehabilitate sections of Ballan Road, Wyndham Vale and Heaths Road, Werribee and planning to rehabilitate sections of Churchill Avenue, Maidstone by May 2020.
Visit Victoria's Big Build to see all these disruptions and plan your journey.
Road resurfacing and repair
Between 2018 to 2021 we'll resurface and repair sections of 37 key roads in Wyndham, Hobsons Bay, Brimbank and Maribyrnong municipalities. Resurfacing works will level and smooth surfaces that are currently in need of repair.
The works include:
- Milling - taking up the old road surface
- Strengthening - sometimes extra work is done beneath the road surface to make sure it is strong enough
- Paving - the final layer of asphalt
- Line marking - painting the correct lines on the road surface
- Sometimes we also need to repair the kerbs on the side of roads.
The 37 roads were chosen based on their current condition.
Most works will happen overnight between 8pm and 6am. We'll also reduce our impacts by avoiding other major works and events in the area.
Sometimes we need to do more work to ensure the foundations of the road are strong. We call this rehabilitation. When we rehabilitate the roads, we need to work during the day. We’ll let you know in advance when these works will happen.
The 37 roads that will be resurfaced or rehabilitated between Footscray and Werribee are:
- Anderson Road - completed
- Ballan Road – works between January – May 2020
- Ballarat Road - completed
- Blackshaws Road - completed
- Bolton Road – works early April 2020
- Boundary Road - completed
- Central Avenue – works April 2020
- Churchill Avenue - works April - May 2020
- Civic Parade – works April 2020
- Derrimut Road (Hopkins Road) - completed
- Dohertys Road - completed
- Douglas Parade - completed
- Duncans Road - completed
- Fairbairn Road - completed
- Fitzgerald Road - completed
- Footscray Road - completed
- Geelong Road (Princes Highway West) - completed
- Gordon Street – completed
- Heaths Road – works between January- March 2020
- Hyde Street - completed
- Kororoit Creek Road – works between February - March 2020
- Little Boundary Road - completed
- Maidstone Street - completed
- Market Road - completed
- McDonald Road - completed
- Melbourne Road (Williamstown Road) - completed
- Moore Street - completed
- Mt Derrimut Road - completed
- North Road - completed
- Old Geelong Road - completed
- Paramount Road (Ashley Street) - completed
- Point Cook Road - completed
- Princes Hwy (Werribee) - completed
- Queen Street – completed
- Sayers Road - completed
- Somerville Road - completed
- Sunshine Road - completed.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.