We're upgrading Chandler Highway to improve traffic flow between Melbourne's inner east, south and north.
We’ve widened Chandler Highway to build a second bridge next to the existing one. We’ll convert the original bridge into a walking and cycling path.
As part of the upgrade:
- we’ll build safer cycling and walking paths connecting to the Main Yarra Trail
- we’ll landscape around the Yarra River
- we’ve improved stormwater drainage and lighting
- we’ve widened Chandler Highway to 6 lanes
- we’ve upgraded the Heidelberg Road and Chandler Highway intersection
- we’ve added new traffic lights at the Chandler Highway and Yarra Boulevard intersection.
We’ve opened all six lanes on the new Chandler Highway bridge, providing welcome relief for the 44,000 drivers who rely on this crossing every day.
Pedestrians and cyclists
Pedestrians and cyclists have been diverted onto the old bridge behind barriers, while we continue works to convert this heritage bridge into a dedicated walking and cycling path.
new 6 lane bridge
127 year old bridge for walking and cycling
$110 million upgrade
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.