We've upgraded Chandler Highway to improve traffic flow between Melbourne's inner east, south and north.
Walking and cycling
As part of the Chandler Highway Upgrade, we’ve made it easier for you to walk and cycle in the area. You can now enjoy better connections, safer crossings and more direct routes.
New life for an old bridge
To preserve the heritage value of the old Chandler Highway bridge we've converted it into a walking and cycling path. We respected the bridge’s historical significance and have undertaken refurbishment works to ensure its heritage value is maintained and can be used as a walking and cycling path for many years to come.
Walking and cycling improved
To make it easier for you to walk and cycle around your local area, we’ve:
- added better connections to existing trails, such as the Anniversary, Darebin and Main Yarra trails
- completed a ramp from the Main Yarra Trail to Yarra Boulevard, to replace 70 steps
- built a new underpass that links the Main Yarra Trail from east to west on the south side of the Yarra River
- added a new set of stairs on the north side of the Yarra River to connect the north west side of the Chandler Highway bridge to the north east side of Chandler Highway and the Yarra River
- added a new northbound on-road bike lane over the new bridge to Heidelberg Road
- added new traffic lights at the Yarra Boulevard and Chandler Highway intersection.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.