We're upgrading Fitzsimons Lane to make it easier and safer to get you where you need to be.
We’re started work
In early 2021 we started construction on the Fitzsimons Lane Upgrade.
BMD is our construction partner delivering the project, which is expected to be complete by 2023.
The Fitzsimons Lane Upgrade includes:
- new traffic lights at the Main Road and Leane Drive intersection
- traffic lights to replace roundabouts at the Fitzsimons Lane and Main Road intersection and Fitzsimons Lane and Porter Street intersection
- an upgraded signalised intersection at Williamsons Road and Foote Street
- opening bus lanes to all vehicle use between Porter and Foote Streets
- relocation of the iconic River Peel structure
- new walking and cycling paths
- safety barriers at key locations.
The upgrade reduces congestion in peak periods to provide more reliable travel times, improves safety and makes walking and cycling around the community safer.
What we heard from you
Consultation started in late 2018 and over the last two years we’ve listened to your feedback. We’ve made a number of key design changes across the project including new U-turns, even more walking and cycling connections at key locations, and improved bus priority at key locations.
We also heard your feedback about the new intersection at Main Road and Fitzsimons Lane. You told us:
- the community cherishes its environmental beauty and local character
- you are concerned about safety in peak times.
Our final design improves safety and reduces congestion in both the morning and afternoon peak, keeping locals and commuters moving.
Further design changes include reducing the number of lanes, which will enable us to retain more trees.
We’ll keep consulting you throughout the build to ensure as many trees and community features are retained as possible.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email and SMS updates for this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.