We're upgrading Fitzsimons Lane to make it easier and safer to get you where you need to be.
We’re starting work
The Fitzsimons Lane Upgrade is another step closer, with BMD Constructions awarded the contract to deliver the project.
Upgrading these intersections will improve traffic flow and access to jobs, schools, shops and parks for the 60,000 people who drive through the area every day. It’ll also enhance walking and cycling connections for the local community.
View our latest construction update (PDF, 977.1 KB).
The Fitzsimons Lane Upgrade includes:
- new traffic lights at Main Road and Leane Drive intersection
- traffic lights to replace roundabouts at Fitzsimons Lane and Main Road intersection and Fitzsimons Lane and Porter Street intersection
- an upgraded signalised intersection at Williamsons Road and Foote Street
- opening bus lanes to all vehicle use between Porter and Foote Streets
- relocation of the iconic River Peel structure
- new walking and cycling paths
- safety barriers at key locations.
The upgrade reduces congestion in peak periods to provide more reliable travel times, improves safety and makes walking and cycling around the community safer.
What we heard from you
Consultation started in late 2018 and over the last two years we’ve listened to your feedback. We’ve made a number of key design changes across the project including new U-turns, even more walking and cycling connections at key locations, and improved bus priority at key locations.
We also heard your feedback about the new intersection at Main Road and Fitzsimons Lane. You told us:
- the community cherishes its environmental beauty and local character
- you are concerned about safety in peak times.
Our final design improves safety and reduces congestion in both the morning and afternoon peak, keeping locals and commuters moving.
Further design changes include reducing the number of lanes, which will enable us to retain more trees.
We’ll keep consulting you throughout the build to ensure as many trees and community features are retained as possible.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email and SMS updates for this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.