We're upgrading Fitzsimons Lane to make it easier and safer to get you where you need to be.
Day and night works at Main Road roundabout
We’ve started work to upgrade the roundabout at the intersection of Main Road and Fitzsimons Lane to traffic lights.
There’ll be lane closures into peak periods while restrictions remain in place. We will then return to our planned works program below with off peak lane closures.
Planned day works
From August until November, we’ll continue intermittent northbound lane closures from 9am to 3.30pm on sections of Main Road and Fitzsimons Lane. This is to complement our planned night work and get as much work done as possible without causing major traffic disruption during the day.
We’ll also work behind barriers during the day between 7am and 6pm, Monday to Friday to do drainage works on Main Road between Jayson Ave and Hohnes Road
From Sunday 15 August until late-November 2021, we’ll work at night between 7pm and 6am, Sunday to Thursday.
Works will include:
- installing concrete barriers on the left side of Fitzsimons Lane heading north towards Main Road intersection
- excavating for pits and drainage lines
- removing old drainage pipes
- laying new stormwater drainage pipes across Jayson Avenue, Main Road and Fitzsimons Lane
- boring and trenching works
- upgrading existing sewer pits
- upgrading water valves.
We’ll also be saw cutting into the pavement over three consecutive nights during this period. Due to the nature of these works we’ll contact residents who are directly affected when works are occurring close to their property.
What to expect
While we do all of the work mentioned above you can expect the following:
- noise from equipment and machinery such as generators, excavators and reverse beepers
- light from the work area
- vibration and dust
- shared use path to remain closed between Jayson Avenue and Hohnes Road, with detour still in place
- short term impacts to water service. Yarra Valley Water will notify customers directly impacted.
While we undertake night work, we’ll need to close lanes from 7pm to 6am and reduce the speed limit to 40km/h.
During this period, we’ll need to close Hohnes Road for approximately three days. While the road is closed, we’ll have a temporary detour in place via Homestead Road to Fitzsimons Lane.
Access to Jayson Avenue from Fitzsimons lane will also be closed during night works.
We’ll monitor noise, vibration and dust levels at all times to ensure these impacts are kept to a minimum. If you have any concerns regarding noise please contact us on the details below.
The phasing of these works is indicative and subject to change within the time specified.
For your safety, please observe signs and instructions from traffic controllers. We ask that you plan your journey and allow extra time to travel through the area.
Support local business
Your local traders are open for business and we’re actively encouraging our project workers to shop locally. Thank you for helping and continuing to shop local during the Fitzsimons Lane Upgrade works.
Closure of Jayson Avenue intersection
To complete our work safely, at times we'll need to close Jayson Avenue at Fitzsimons Lane. Affected residents will be contacted in advance.
From Sunday 6 June we’ll also temporarily change the way you walk and cycle in and out of Jayson Avenue for approximately 12 months.
The map below shows the detours for vehicles via Homestead Road and Hohnes Road and detours via Hohnes Road, the Diamond Creek Trail and Main Yarra Trails for cyclists and pedestrians.
The temporary closures are in place so we can complete the following work:
- upgrade the existing shared use path
- improve drainage
- widen the road
- build a new retaining wall and kerbs
- lay new road surface and add line markings.
During closures there will be no left turn in or out of Jayson Avenue at Fitzsimons Lane.
What to expect
- Jayson Avenue closed at Fitzsimons Lane with detours in place
- changes in pedestrian and cyclist access from Jayson Avenue to Hohnes Road
- construction impacts such as noise, dust and vibration
- reduced speeds and lane closures along Main Road and Fitzsimons Lane
- weekly rubbish bin collection changes.
Detour map of pedestrian, cyclist and vehicle detours. View a larger version of the map (PDF, 184.9 KB).
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email and SMS updates for this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.