We’re adding an extra lane, upgrading intersections and installing safety barriers in two stages between Princes Freeway and Manks Road.
Over two stages of the Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Road Upgrade, we’ll:
- add an extra lane in each direction between Princes Freeway and Manks Road
- widen the existing Princes Freeway ramps
- install new traffic lights at Greenhills Road
- build a new bridge over Deep Creek near the water recycling plant
- install new roundabouts at Hall Road, south of Deep Creek and Ballarto Road
- build a new shared walking and cycling path
- add safety barriers along the road.
This upgrade will:
- improve traffic flow and travel times
- provide an upgraded alternative north-south route in the Pakenham South area
- lower the risk and severity of crashes by adding safety barriers.
In mid-2020 we changed the delivery model of the Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Road Upgrade.
Instead of being delivered as a Public Private Partnership, with a group of other projects in the south, the Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Road Upgrade will be completed by dedicated contractor selected from a pre-approved panel.
The new streamlined approach will help shovel-ready projects get underway sooner, provide more certainty around timelines and give local construction companies more opportunities to win contracts and stimulate the local job market.
The change in delivery model has not impacted the original delivery timeframe, as both stages of the project will still be completed by 2025.
We anticipate appointing a contractor to work through a detailed planning phase of the first stage on the Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Road Upgrade in mid to late 2021.
This phase will include developing a detailed construction program. It will likely also involve site investigations such as locating utility services and getting a better understanding of road and ground conditions.
We expect to start constructing the Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Road Upgrade in the first half of 2022.
For more information about the Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Road Upgrade, visit Engage Victoria.
EPBC Act Approval
The project has potential to impact listed threatened species and communities protected under the EPBC Act specifically the:
- Growling Grass Frog (Litoria raniformis); and
- Southern Brown Bandicoot (Isoodon obesulus obesulus).
The project was assessed by Preliminary Documentation and approval was granted by the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment on the 18 September 2020.
The following management plans will support the project in accordance with the EPBC approval.
Environment Management Plans
- MRPV-Healesville-Koo-Wee-Rup-Fauna-Management-Plan-Report-July-2020.pdf (PDF File, 25.6 MB)
- MRPV-Healesville-Koo-Wee-Rup-Fauna-Management-Plan-April-2020.pdf (PDF File, 29.8 MB)
- MRPV-Healesville-Koo-Wee-Rup-Offset-Management-Plan-Brady-Swamp-August-2020.pdf (PDF File, 11.7 MB)
- MRPV-Healesville-Koo_Wee-Rup-Offset-Management-Plan-Brucknell-October-2020.pdf (PDF File, 10.2 MB)
- MRPV-Healesville-Koo-Wee-Rup-Offset-Management-Plan-Harewood-September-2020.pdf (PDF File, 28.9 MB)
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email and SMS updates for this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.