We’re adding an extra lane in each direction between Oliphant Way and Frankston-Dandenong Road, upgrading intersections, building a new bridge over Peninsula Link and installing safety barriers.
From late October, we’ll continue major construction on the Lathams Road Upgrade. The works include:
- ramp widening works on the Eastlink on and off ramps
- preparation works for the new bridge over Peninsula Link
- ongoing service relocations along Rutherford and Lathams roads, between Frankston Gardens Drive and Frankston Dandenong Road.
There’ll be on-going lane and ramp closures, speed reductions and detours in place so that we can safely complete these works. Please follow-on road signage and traffic controllers’ instructions and allow extra time for your journey.
While these works are being completed, there will be a number of changes in the area, including:
- overnight closures of the Eastlink entry and exit ramps
- lane, shoulder and full road closures on Lathams and Rutherford Road and surrounding side streets
- speed reductions between the Eastlink ramps and Frankston Dandenong Road
- on-street parking removals along sections of Rutherford Road and Lathams Road
- changes to pedestrian movements and access to local businesses
- increased construction noise and activity between Eastlink Ramps and Frankston Dandenong Road.
We will provide further details of lane, road and ramp closures via regular updates. Please sign up for email or SMS notifications to stay up to date.
To find out more about what’s coming up in the coming months, please view the Lathams Road Upgrade October/November Construction Update (PDF, 273.6 KB).
Bridge works - from July 2021
We’ve started works on a new, two–lane bridge over Peninsula Link. These include:
- removal of a small amount of vegetation along Lathams Road on both approaches to the additional Peninsula Link bridge crossing
- barrier installations along Peninsula Link under the Lathams Road bridge and on the northern side of Lathams Road, between Boggy Creek and Frankston Gardens Drive
- delivery of construction materials and machinery.
To complete these works, there will be occasional short-term lane closures and reduced speed limits in place. You’ll also see more construction vehicles in the area, and trucks entering and exiting the site near Peninsula Link bridge.
These works will take place for the remainder of the year. You can find out more about planned works at Victoria's Big Build.
Noise from construction will vary depending on the type of activity being undertaken. If you’re close to our works, you may notice increased noise levels at times.
Some of the main sources of noise during construction include excavators and graders, piling rigs, generators, power tools, site workers, and trucks delivering and transferring materials to and from our construction sites.
We’ll make every effort to minimise any impacts on local residents and businesses during these works by:
- scheduling noisy activities in day-time construction hours
- providing local residents and businesses with advance notice about any out-of-hours works
- fitting machinery with engine noise reduction equipment
- monitoring noise in areas adjacent to residential and commercial properties.
We’ll endeavour to maintain access to homes and businesses at all times. If access needs to be restricted we’ll notify residents and businesses regarding any future impacts.
This upgrade includes changing access to some local side streets.
The changes will provide better connectivity and improve traffic flow and safety for all road users by reducing the likelihood and severity of crashes. Under the new design, permanent changes will be in place to provide safe turning options at nearby intersections.
Work will be conducted safely and in accordance with COVID-19 protocols. Find out more information about coronavirus.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email and SMS updates for this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.