We're adding extra lanes to the Monash Freeway between Warrigal and Cardinia Roads to make your journey quicker, easier and safer.
30kms of extra traffic lanes were added to the Monash Freeway as part of Stage 1. The freeway was widened:
- from 4 to 5 lanes in each direction, between EastLink interchange and South Gippsland Freeway
- from 2 to 3 lanes in each direction, between South Gippsland Freeway and Clyde Road in Berwick.
As part of Stage 2, we’ll add 36kms of new lanes between:
- Warrigal Road and Eastlink
- Clyde Road and Cardinia Road.
We started work on Stage 1 of the Monash Freeway Upgrade in September 2016 and it was completed in June 2018.
CPB Contractors will be carrying out construction for Stage 2 which will begin in early 2020 and is scheduled to be completed in 2022.
For Stage 2, we will:
- add 36kms of new lanes on the Monash and Princes Freeways, between:
- Warrigal Road and Eastlink outbound
- Eastlink to Springvale Road inbound
- Clyde Road to Cardinia Road, in both directions
- connect Police Road to the freeway with an outbound on-ramp
- connect the Jacksons Road outbound ramps directly to Eastlink with a separate road
- upgrade O’Shea Road to three lanes in each direction between Clyde Road and Soldiers Road
- extend O’Shea Road to join the Beaconsfield interchange – we’ll also upgrade the interchange by adding an inbound freeway off-ramp and an outbound freeway on-ramp
- build a shared walking and cycling path on O’Shea Road between Clyde Road, Berwick and the Princes Highway, Beaconsfield.
36kms of new traffic lanes
Construction on Stage 2 to begin in early 2020
$1.08 billion upgrade
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.