We're adding extra lanes to the Monash Freeway between Warrigal and Cardinia Roads to make your journey quicker, easier and safer.
We've added 30kms of extra traffic lanes to the Monash Freeway as part of Stage 1. We've widened the freeway from:
- four to five lanes in each direction, between EastLink interchange and South Gippsland Freeway
- two to three lanes in each direction, between South Gippsland Freeway and Clyde Road in Berwick.
We started work on Stage 1 of the Monash Freeway Upgrade in September 2016 and we completed it in June 2018.
We commenced construction for Stage 2 in early 2020 and expect to complete construction in 2022.
For Stage 2, we'll:
- add 36kms of new lanes on the Monash and Princes Freeways, between:
- Warrigal Road and EastLink outbound
- EastLink to Springvale Road inbound
- Clyde Road to Cardinia Road, in both directions.
- connect Police Road to the freeway with an outbound on-ramp
- connect the Jacksons Road outbound ramps directly to EastLink with a separate road
- install smart, on-road technology across the project, including extending the lane-use management system from the South Gippsland Freeway to Beaconsfield interchange
- upgrade O’Shea Road to three lanes in each direction between Clyde Road and Soldiers Road
- extend O’Shea Road to join the Beaconsfield interchange – we’ll also upgrade the interchange by adding an inbound freeway off-ramp and an outbound freeway on-ramp
- build a shared walking and cycling path along O’Shea Road between Clyde Road, Berwick and the Princes Highway, Beaconsfield.
36kms of new traffic lanes
Construction on Stage 2 has begun
$1.08 billion upgrade
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email and SMS updates for this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.