We're adding extra lanes to the Monash Freeway between Warrigal and Cardinia Roads to make your journey quicker, easier and safer.
30kms of extra traffic lanes were added to the Monash Freeway as part of Stage 1. The freeway was widened:
- from 4 to 5 lanes in each direction, between EastLink interchange and South Gippsland Freeway
- from 2 to 3 lanes in each direction, between South Gippsland Freeway and Clyde Road in Berwick.
As part of Stage 2, we’ll add 36kms of new lanes between:
- Warrigal Road and Eastlink
- Clyde Road and Cardinia Road.
We started work on Stage 1 of the Monash Freeway Upgrade in September 2016 and it was completed in June 2018.
Early works on Stage 2 of the Monash started in October 2018.
For Stage 2, we will:
- add 36kms of new lanes on the Monash and Princes Freeways, between:
- Warrigal Road and Eastlink outbound
- Eastlink to Springvale Road inbound
- Clyde Road to Cardinia Road, in both directions
- connect Police Road to the freeway with an outbound on-ramp
- connect the Jacksons Road outbound ramps directly to Eastlink with a separate road
- add two extra lanes in each direction on O’Shea Road between Clyde Road and Soldiers Road
- upgrade the Beaconsfield Interchange – we’ll extend O’Shea Road so it joins the interchange, add an inbound freeway off-ramp and an outbound freeway on-ramp
- build shared walking and cycling paths on O’Shea Road between Clyde Road and the Beaconsfield Interchange.
Monash Freeway Upgrade Stage 2 (MFU2) Business Case
The associated business case and appendices for this project can be downloaded using the links below:
- (MFU2) Business Case (redacted) (PDF, 6.6 MB)
- Appendix A - MFU2 Benefit Management Plan (PDF, 584.5 KB)
- Appendix B - Project Options Analysis (redacted) (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- Appendix J - Communication and stakeholder engagement (PDF, 164.9 KB)
- Attachment F - Economics Assessment Report (redacted) (PDF, 2.8 MB)
The Monash Freeway Upgrade Stage 2 (MFU2) Planning Scheme Amendment (PSA) has been approved and gazetted.
36kms of new traffic lanes
Construction on Stage 2 to begin in mid-2019
$711 million upgrade
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.