We're adding extra lanes to the Monash Freeway between Warrigal and Cardinia Roads to make your journey quicker, easier and safer.
Stage 2 update
Works are continuing to ramp up on the Monash Freeway as we work to transform this vital transport corridor.
What we’re doing
Over the coming months construction works will include:
Monash and Princes freeways
- general maintenance along the freeway including pothole repairs and refreshing line marking
- preparing the centre median for construction by removing existing signs, vegetation, soil and redundant asphalt and placing crushed rock in preparation for the new road surface
- investigations to locate underground services like electricity and gas
- excavating, boring, trenching and piling (digging vertically into the ground)
- installing the protection barriers for the new overhead electronic signage
- preparing the bridges for widening at Police, Jacksons, Forster, Ferntree Gully and Officer South roads and also at Lower Gum Scrub Creek and Cardinia Creek
- installing bridge beams at Police and Jacksons roads and at Cardinia Creek, to widen the existing bridges
- installing new overhead gantries with built in on-road smart technology
- installing power cabinets and underground cables to power the new smart on-road technology
- earthworks and piling to build the foundations for the new road connecting the Jacksons Road outbound entry ramp to EastLink and the new Police Road outbound entry ramp to the freeway.
O’Shea Road and the Beaconsfield interchange
- excavation, earthworks and safety barrier installation at the Beaconsfield interchange
- making improvements to the existing freeway ramps and beginning to construct the new inbound exit-ramp and outbound entry-ramp at the Beaconsfield interchange
- widening the Princes Freeway overpass so that we can add new lanes
- setting up a site compound south of the Beaconsfield interchange
- identifying and relocating services along O’Shea Road
- preparing O’Shea Road for construction including installation of concrete traffic barriers and stormwater drainage.
What you can expect
Work hours will be between 7am and 6pm, Monday to Saturday and 7pm and 5am, Sunday to Friday, weather permitting.
There may be times we need to work outside these hours to minimise traffic impacts and keep you and our workers safe. If this occurs, residents near the works will be notified in advance.
During construction we’ll close freeway lanes and ramps. We'll also close sections of the freeway and roads which cross the freeway. These closures will be overnight and at off-peak periods with detours in place and communicated in advance.
There will be speed reductions in place and changed traffic conditions. For more information about disruptions, visit Victoria’s Big Build.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email and SMS updates for this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.