We’re adding an extra lane between Thompsons Road and the South Gippsland Highway, upgrading intersections and building new walking and cycling paths.
As part of the Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road Upgrade, we’ll:
- add an extra lane in each direction between Thompsons Road and the South Gippsland Highway
- install traffic lights to replace the roundabouts at Thompsons Road and Berwick-Cranbourne Road
- install new traffic lights at the South Gippsland Highway intersection, Majestic Boulevard and Lyall Street
- install new traffic lights at the pedestrian crossing south of Hunt Club Boulevard
- upgrade intersections at Kingdom Drive, Linsell Boulevard and Rochester Parade
- build new shared walking and cycling paths
- install safety barriers along the road.
This upgrade will:
- improve traffic flow and travel times
- reduce growing traffic pressure on the South Gippsland Highway
- improve access around Cranbourne town centre
- make it easier and safer for you to walk or cycle around your local area
- lower the risk and severity of crashes by adding safety barriers.
In mid-2020 we changed the delivery model of the Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road Upgrade.
Instead of being delivered as a Public Private Partnership, with a group of other projects in the south, the Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road Upgrade will be completed by a dedicated contractor selected from a pre-approved panel.
The new streamlined approach will help shovel-ready projects get underway sooner, provide more certainty around timelines and give local construction companies more opportunities to win contracts and stimulate the local job market.
The change in delivery model has not impacted the original delivery timeframe, as all projects will still be completed by 2025.
We anticipate appointing a contractor to work through a detailed planning phase on the Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road Upgrade in mid to late 2021.
This phase will include developing a detailed construction program. It will likely also involve site investigations such as locating utility services and getting a better understanding of road and ground conditions.
We expect to start constructing the Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road Upgrade in the first half of 2022.
For more information about the Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road Upgrade, visit Engage Victoria.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email and SMS updates for this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.