The Victorian Government has invested $2.2 billion to improve 12 roads in the northern and south eastern outer suburbs, to make it quicker, easier and safer to get to where you need to be.
The Northern Roads Upgrade will improve six main roads in Melbourne’s northern suburbs. We’ll also improve foot path conditions and road network infrastructure.
The project will have many benefits for growing communities in the northern suburbs. We will:
- make it quicker, easier and safer for all road users
- give people better access to the growing residential suburbs
- improve access to jobs
- improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians with the addition of walking and cycling paths.
As part of the Northern Roads Upgrade we will add lanes and upgrade intersections on:
- Bridge Inn Road from Plenty Road to Yan Yean Road, Doreen
- Childs Road from Beaumont Crescent to Prince of Wales Avenue, Mill Park
- Craigieburn Road from Mickleham Road to the Hume Highway, Craigieburn
- Epping Road from Craigieburn Road East to Memorial Avenue, Epping
- Fitzsimons Lane intersection upgrades in Eltham and Templestowe, and Leane Drive in Eltham
- Sunbury Road from Bulla-Diggers Rest Road to Powlett Street, Sunbury.
The Northern Roads Upgrade:
- includes a 20-year maintenance contract, which guarantees the ongoing care of hundreds of kilometres of road in the north
- is being delivered through a Public Private Partnership (PPP)
- is due to be completed by the end of 2025
- roads will not become toll roads.
Visit your.roadprojects.vic.gov.au to find out more about the Northern Roads Upgrade.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.