We’re adding an extra lane on Bridge Inn Road between Plenty and Yan Yean Roads, installing new traffic lights, upgrading intersections and building a new bridge over Plenty River.
Bridge Inn Road update
We expect to award a contract in early 2020 with construction to start on the Northern Roads Upgrade from mid-to-late 2020. We’ll know more about the exact timing of the Bridge Inn Road Upgrade early next year.
See the Bridge Inn Road Upgrade November 2019 Community Update for the latest project news.
As part of the Bridge Inn Road Upgrade, we’ll:
- add an extra lane in each direction
- install traffic lights at Cookes Road and Garden Road
- build a bridge over Plenty River and upgrade the existing bridge
- install safety barriers along the road
- upgrade the intersections at Schotters Road, Vantage Point Boulevard and Painted Hills Road
- install traffic lights near Ivanhoe Grammar School, including a pedestrian crossing to improve access to local schools
- build a new shared walking and cycling path.
Why Bridge Inn Road?
More than 17,000 people use Bridge Inn Road every day.
We understand that during peak times, you experience significant delays in this area.
For growing suburbs including Mernda and Doreen, this upgrade will make traffic flow better so you can get to where you need to be sooner and safer.
This upgrade will:
- improve traffic flow and travel times
- provide better access to the new Mernda train station
- enhance connectivity to residential developments and employment opportunities in the north
- provide easier access to the proposed Mernda town centre
- make it easier and safer for you to walk or cycle around your local area
- lower the risk and severity of crashes by adding safety barriers.
In September and October 2018, we shared our proposed design of the Bridge Inn Road Upgrade and received over 270 pieces of feedback. We then provided this feedback to the project team who used it to refine the proposed design.
For more information about what we heard visit the Bridge Inn Road engagement hub.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.