We’re adding an extra lane on Childs Road between Beaumont Crescent and Prince of Wales Avenue, replacing the roundabout at Bowman Drive with traffic lights and building a new bridge over Darebin Creek.
Childs Road update
We expect to award a contract in early 2020 with construction to start on the Northern Roads Upgrade from mid-to-late 2020. We’ll know more about the exact timing of the Childs Road Upgrade early next year.
See the Childs Road Upgrade November 2019 Community Update for the latest project news.
As part of the Childs Road Upgrade, we’ll:
- add an extra lane in each direction between Beaumont Crescent and Prince of Wales Avenue
- upgrade the roundabout with traffic lights at Bowman Drive
- build a new bridge over Darebin Creek and upgrade the existing bridge
- build new shared walking and cycling paths
- install safety barriers along the road.
Why Childs Road?
More than 25,000 people use Childs Road every day.
We understand that during peak times, you experience big delays on this road.
The upgrade will provide an alternative route for east-west travel that avoids the South Morang and Epping town centres.
Upgrading the road means traffic will flow better, roads will be safer and you can get to where you need to go sooner.
This upgrade will:
- improve traffic flow and travel times
- provide an alternative route for east-west travel that avoids the South Morang and Epping town centres
- make it easier and safer for you to walk or cycle around your local area
- lower the risk and severity of crashes by adding safety barriers.
In September and October 2018, we shared our proposed design of the Childs Road Upgrade and received over 120 pieces of feedback. We then provided this feedback to the project team who used it to refine the proposed design.
For more information about what we heard visit the Childs Road engagement hub.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.