We’re adding extra lanes on Sunbury Road between Powlett Street and Bulla-Diggers Rest Road, adding traffic lights, new walking and cycling connections and building a new bridge over Jacksons Creek.
Sunbury Road update
We expect to award a contract in early 2020 with construction to start on the Northern Roads Upgrade from mid-to-late 2020. We’ll know more about the exact timing of the Sunbury Road Upgrade early next year.
See the Sunbury Road Upgrade November 2019 Community Update for the latest project news.
As part of the Sunbury Road Upgrade, we’ll:
- add an extra lane in each direction between Powlett Street and Bulla-Diggers Rest Road
- install traffic lights to replace the roundabouts at Francis Boulevard and Lancefield Road
- install traffic lights at 600 Sunbury Road
- upgrade the roundabout at Bulla-Diggers Rest Road
- upgrade the existing bridge and build a new bridge over the Jacksons Creek
- build new walking and cycling paths
- install safety barriers along the road.
Why Sunbury Road?
More than 24,000 people use Sunbury Road every day.
For several growing suburbs, the road connects you to residential areas, local services, jobs and businesses. It’s also one of the main routes for travel between Sunbury and Melbourne Airport.
Upgrading the road means traffic will flow better, roads will be safer and you can get to where you need to go sooner.
The upgrade will:
- improve traffic flow and travel times
- connect existing and emerging communities to the Sunbury town centre
- accommodate for future residential and commercial growth along Sunbury Road
- provide easier and safer walking and cycling around the local area
- lower the risk and severity of crashes by installing safety barriers and reviewing speed limits.
In September and October 2018, we shared our proposed design of the Sunbury Road Upgrade and received over 130 pieces of feedback. We then provided this feedback to the project team who used it to refine the proposed design.
For more information about what we heard visit the Sunbury Road engagement hub.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.