We’ve added traffic lights at the O’Herns Road and High Street intersection. As part of the next stage of the project, we’ll build a new interchange at the Hume Freeway.
What we're doing
Construction on Stage 2 of the O'Herns Road Upgrade started in September 2019. We’ll start by building a site office on O’Herns Road near the Hume Freeway and undertaking a range of other activities to prepare for major works.
Initial construction activities during this period will include:
- installing temporary fencing
- delivery of construction machinery, equipment and materials
- local road and lane closures
- reducing speed limits
- installing temporary traffic barriers
- relocating utility services
- tree and vegetation removal
- detouring the Galada Tamboore Pathway
- piling works on the Hume Freeway
- construction of retaining walls for the new on and off-ramps.
Staging the works
Works on Stage 2 involve the establishment of multiple worksites between Redding Rise and the Hume Freeway.
On O’Herns Road we’ll build three new traffic light intersections at Koukoura Drive, Edgars Road and Gateway Boulevard, install new drainage at Edgars Creek, Edgars Road and Koukoura Drive and relocate services.
We’ll then build new lanes on O’Herns Road between Redding Rise and the Hume Freeway, finish installing the traffic lights, complete drainage at Edgars Creek and Koukoura Drive, asphalting to connect Gateway Boulevard and upgrade the shared walking and cycling path. At the same time, we’ll also widen the bridge over the Hume Freeway and build new on and off-ramps to the freeway.
For more information see our Community Update newsletters:
- O'Herns Road Upgrade August 2019 update (PDF, 969.9 KB)
- O'Herns Road Upgrade August 2019 - accessible version (DOCX, 25.2 KB)
- O'Herns Road Upgrade July 2019 update (PDF, 718.7 KB)
- O'Herns Road Upgrade February 2019 update (PDF, 1.0 MB)
- O'Herns Road Upgrade February 2019 - accessible version (DOCX, 16.4 KB)
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to improve traffic flow and road safety in Melbourne’s north.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.