We’ve added traffic lights at the O’Herns Road and High Street intersection. As part of the next stage of the project, we’re building a new interchange at the Hume Freeway.
Major works are continuing on the O’Herns Road Upgrade to improve traffic flow and access to the Hume Freeway. Once complete, the O’Herns Road Upgrade will provide safer and more reliable journeys for motorists in Melbourne’s north.
We’ll continue major works over the coming months as we build your new lanes, intersections and freeway interchange.
In mid-June, we closed the Hume Freeway for a full weekend so we could safely install eight concrete bridge beams to widen O’Herns Road bridge. The beams were transported from Tasmania, where they were purpose built for the upgrade. Later this year, we’ll install another eight beams to complete the widening of the bridge.
While the freeway was closed, we worked around the clock to remove the existing concrete bridge barriers, demolish a portion of the bridge deck and drove piles to create structural supports for three gantries. Closing the freeway for a full weekend allowed us to get more work done and reduce the number of future lane and freeway closures.
What we're doing next
Now that we’ve installed the bridge beams, we’ll begin pouring concrete on the northern section of the O’Herns Road bridge. Pavement works will commence to build the new entry and exit ramps and we’ll prepare for the installation of the concrete bridge barriers, which will happen later this year.
In July, we’ll also continue:
- installing precast concrete panels to build retaining walls for the new ramps
- building up earth to create the new entry and exit ramps
- relocating gas services and doing pavement works along O’Herns Road
- piling to create structural supports for the overhead signage structures on the Hume Freeway.
Visit Victoria’s Big Build for the latest traffic and detour information.
Staging the works
Works on Stage 2 involve the establishment of multiple worksites between Redding Rise and the Hume Freeway.
On O’Herns Road we’ll build three new traffic light intersections at Koukoura Drive, Edgars Road and Gateway Boulevard, install new drainage at Edgars Creek, Edgars Road and Koukoura Drive and relocate services.
We’ll then build new lanes on O’Herns Road between Redding Rise and the Hume Freeway, finish installing the traffic lights, complete drainage at Edgars Creek and Koukoura Drive, asphalting to connect Gateway Boulevard and upgrade the shared walking and cycling path. At the same time, we’ll also widen the bridge over the Hume Freeway and build new on and off-ramps to the freeway.
Community update newsletters
- O'Herns Road Upgrade July 2020 works notification (PDF File, 296.2 KB)
- O'Herns Road Upgrade June 2020 works notification (PDF File, 203.7 KB)
- O'Herns Road Upgrade April 2020 works notification (PDF File, 235.2 KB)
- O'Herns Road Upgrade February 2020 community update (PDF File, 197.8 KB)
- O'Herns Road Upgrade December 2019 community update - accessible version (MS Word Document, 27.1 KB)
- O'Herns Road Upgrade December 2019 community update (PDF File, 795.7 KB)
- O'Hern's Road Upgrade November 2019 community update - accessible version (MS Word Document, 24.4 KB)
- O'Herns Road Upgrade November 2019 community update (PDF File, 153.2 KB)
- O'Herns Road Upgrade October 2019 community update - accessible version (MS Word Document, 24.5 KB)
- O'Herns Road Upgrade October 2019 community update (PDF File, 138.4 KB)
- O'Herns Road Upgrade August 2019 update - accessible version.docx (MS Word Document, 25.2 KB)
- O'Herns Road Upgrade August 2019 update.pdf (PDF File, 969.9 KB)
- O'Herns Road Upgrade July 2019 update.pdf (PDF File, 718.7 KB)
- OHerns Road Upgrade February 2019 community update_accessible.docx (MS Word Document, 16.4 KB)
- OHerns Road Upgrade February 2019 community update.pdf (PDF File, 1.0 MB)
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.