We’ve added traffic lights at the O’Herns Road and High Street intersection. As part of the next stage of the project, we’ll build a new interchange at the Hume Freeway.
Stage 2 of the O’Herns Road Upgrade will provide direct access to the Hume Freeway via new on and off-ramps. We’ll also widen the bridge over the freeway and build three traffic light intersections to deliver improved north-south connections between Cooper Street and O’Herns Road, making it easier for you to travel through Melbourne’s north.
For Stage 2, we will:
- add one new lane in each direction between the Hume Freeway and Redding Rise
- build new traffic light intersections at Edgars Road, Gateway Boulevard and Koukoura Drive
- build a new interchange with direct access to the freeway
- widen the bridge over the freeway to help improve traffic flow to the new interchange and match the number of lanes between Redding Rise and Epping Road
- add one new lane in each direction on the Hume Freeway between O’Herns Road and Cooper Street
- continue on-road bike lanes on O’Herns Road from Redding Rise.
Stage 2 of the O’Herns Road Upgrade has many benefits. It will:
- deliver three new traffic light intersections, enabling better north-south connections between Cooper Street and O’Herns Road
- reduce traffic lengths and improve traffic flow so you can safely pass through the High Street intersection during a green light
- give residents in Epping and Epping North better access to the Hume Freeway
- improve traffic flow on Cooper Street, Miller Street and High Street
- provide better access for emergency service vehicles
- increase safety for pedestrians and cyclists.
VEC Civil Engineering is our construction partner delivering Stage 2 of the O’Herns Road Upgrade.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.