We’re adding extra lanes and building new intersections along the Princes Highway between Winchelsea and Colac to make your journey quicker and safer.
As part of the Princes Highway Upgrade in Colac and Colac East, we have:
- built new intersections
- added pedestrian crossings
- added new road surfaces
- upgraded traffic lights
- upgraded the bridge over the Geelong-Warrnambool train line in East Colac.
By 2019, we will:
- replace the bridge over Barongarook Creek to cater for freight vehicles
- upgrade walking and cycling routes
- upgrade the entry to Colac
- plant new vegetation.
Bridge over Barongarook Creek
As part of our upgrades to the Princes Highway, we’re replacing the 80-year-old bridge over Barongarook Creek in Colac. The new bridge is nearing completion.
Lane closures will be in place on 18 October and from 21-24 October to safely undertake the following works:
Friday 18 October (7am to 6pm)
- We will be pouring concrete so we can install the last section of guardrail
Monday 21 October to Thursday 24 October (7am to 6pm)
- We will remove some of the old road surface using a machine called a profiler
- The final layers of asphalt will be placed onto the new bridge in layers
- When this is complete, traffic will then be reopened in both directions on the new bridge and the northern walkway will be opened to pedestrians.
Access to homes and businesses will always be maintained. Businesses will operate as normal so please continue to shop local and support Colac traders.
Keep up to date
Visit Victoria's Big Build for the latest traffic disruption information. All our activities are subject to weather conditions.
To prepare the ground for construction we'll, unfortunately need to remove some trees and vegetation in line with our Environmental Management Plan. We're committed to minimising vegetation loss as much as possible. Tree protection zones and no-go zones will preserve sensitive sites.
We're working closely with Landcare, the Corangamite Catchment Management Authority, the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning and the Colac Otway Shire. Together, we'll develop a landscaping plan to ensure that once the project is complete, the area will be suitably revegetated. We're also working with the community to reuse vegetation we need to remove.
The contract has been awarded to VEC Civil Engineering.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.