We’re adding extra lanes and building new intersections along the Princes Highway between Winchelsea and Colac to make your journey quicker and safer.
As part of the Princes Highway Upgrade in Colac and Colac East, we have:
- built new intersections
- added pedestrian crossings
- added new road surfaces
- upgraded traffic lights
- upgraded the bridge over the Geelong-Warrnambool train line in East Colac.
By 2019, we will:
- replace the bridge over Barongarook Creek to cater for freight vehicles
- upgrade walking and cycling routes
- upgrade the entry to Colac
- plant new vegetation.
Bridge over Barongarook Creek
The bridge over Barongarook Creek in Colac is being replaced.
A temporary bridge has been installed to the side of the current bridge, allowing us to keep Princes Highway open while the old bridge is removed and a new bridge is constructed in its place.
How works may affect you
To carry out these works, we’ll:
- undertake construction activities between 7am and 6pm
- change pedestrian routes – some paths may be closed, but access across the creek will always be maintained
- make temporary changes in the park, including the car parking and access to the barbeques
- temporarily reduce the speed limit on the Princes Highway to safely guide traffic through the site.
To prepare the ground for construction we'll, unfortunately need to remove some trees and vegetation in line with our Environmental Management Plan. We're committed to minimising vegetation loss as much as possible. Tree protection zones and no-go zones will preserve sensitive sites.
We're working closely with Landcare, the Corangamite Catchment Management Authority, the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning and the Colac Otway Shire. Together, we'll develop a landscaping plan to ensure that once the project is complete, the area will be suitably revegetated. We're also working with the community to reuse vegetation we need to remove.
The contract has been awarded to VEC Civil Engineering.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.