The Victorian Government has invested $2.2 billion to improve 12 roads in the northern and south eastern outer suburbs, to make it quicker, easier and safer to get to where you need to be.
Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road update
We expect to award a contract in early 2020 with construction to start on the South Eastern Roads Upgrade from mid-to-late 2020. We’ll know more about the exact timing of the Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road Upgrade early next year.
See the Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road Upgrade November 2019 Community Update for the latest project news.
As part of the Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road Upgrade, we’ll:
- add an extra lane in each direction between Thompsons Road and the South Gippsland Highway
- install traffic lights to replace the roundabouts at Thompsons Road and Berwick-Cranbourne Road
- install new traffic lights at the South Gippsland Highway intersection, Majestic Boulevard and Lyall Street
- install new traffic lights at the pedestrian crossing south of Hunt Club Boulevard
- upgrade intersections at Kingdom Drive, Linsell Boulevard and Rochester Parade
- build new shared walking and cycling paths
- install safety barriers along the road.
Why Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road?
More than 33,000 people use Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road every day.
If you live or work in the growing suburbs in Melbourne’s East, Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road is an important connector between the South Gippsland Highway and the Monash Freeway.
Upgrading the road means traffic will flow better, roads will be safer and you can get to where you need to go sooner. It will also take cars off High Street in Cranbourne to make it safer and easier for you to access shops and businesses.
This upgrade will:
- improve traffic flow and travel times
- reduce growing traffic pressure on the South Gippsland Highway
- improve access around Cranbourne town centre
- make it easier and safer for you to walk or cycle around your local area
- lower the risk and severity of crashes by adding safety barriers.
In September and October 2018, we shared our proposed design of the Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road Upgrade and received over 150 pieces of feedback. We then provided this feedback to the project team who used it to refine the proposed design.
For more information about what we heard visit the Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road engagement hub.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.