We’re realigning the South Gippsland Highway between Koonwarra and Meeniyan to improve safety and travel times.
We aim to have the lowest possible effect on the local environment, whilst building a safer road for everyone.
To prepare for the realignment, we’ll unfortunately need to remove some trees and vegetation.
We’ll also replant the project area with local, native vegetation.
We have a cultural heritage management plan in place that has been approved by Aboriginal Victoria. As part of this, we'll salvage artefacts before we start work on the upgrade.
The project will have little or no impact on the Koonwarra fossil site at Minns Road.
Environmental impact information - Have your say
In early 2018, the Department of Environment and Energy (DoEE) provided advice that the project required further information to assess the likelihood of the project having a significant impact on the Strzelecki Gum and Australian Grayling.
We have prepared and supplied that information to the DoEE and it is now ready for public comment.
Preliminary documentation - South Gippsland Highway
- EPBC Referral 20178070 - Final Preliminary Documentation (PDF, 13.2 MB)
- EPBC Referral 20178070 (PDF, 8.9 MB)
Preliminary documentation - South Gippsland Highway - appendices
- Appendix 1 - High Risk-Based Pathway Biodiversity Assessment Report for South Gippsland Highway Realignment (PDF, 13.1 MB)
- Appendix 2 - Australian Grayling Targeted Survey (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Appendix 3 - Offset Calculator (PDF, 32.5 KB)
- Appendix 4 - Offset Management Plan (%asset_summary 331519%)
South Gippsland Highway - attachments
- Attachment 1 - SGH, Black Spur Project Plan (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Attachment 2 - SGH, Black Spur Plan-1 (PDF, 965.9 KB)
- Attachment 3 - SGH, Black Spur Plan-2 (PDF, 976.5 KB)
- Attachment 4 - Vegetation Files (ZIP, 3.5 KB)
- Attachment 5 - Planning Permit 2002 250B (PDF, 480.2 KB)
- Attachment 6 - High Risk-Based Pathway Biodiversity Assessment Report for South Gippsland Highway Realignment (PDF, 13.1 MB)
- Attachment 7 - Survey Plans (PDF, 2.7 MB)
- Attachment 8 - VicRoads Environmental Risk Management Guidelines (PDF, 408.9 KB)
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.