We’re realigning the South Gippsland Highway between Koonwarra and Meeniyan to improve safety and travel times.
We aim to have the lowest possible effect on the local environment, whilst building a safer road for everyone.
To prepare for the realignment, we’ll unfortunately need to remove some trees and vegetation.
We’ll also replant the project area with local, native vegetation.
We have a cultural heritage management plan in place that has been approved by Aboriginal Victoria. As part of this, we've salvaged artefacts prior to starting work on the upgrade.
The project will have little or no impact on the Koonwarra fossil site at Minns Road.
Environmental impact information
In early 2018, the Department of Environment and Energy (DoEE) provided advice that the project required further information to assess the likelihood of the project having a significant impact on the Strzelecki Gum and Australian Grayling.
We have received approval from DoEE and salvaging works have started.
Final documentation – South Gippsland Highway
- South Gippsland Highway Realignment Project Compliance Assessment Report No.1 March 2020 to March 2021 EPBC Approval No. 2017/8070 (PDF, 10.1 MB)
Preliminary documentation - South Gippsland Highway
- 2017/8070 South Gippsland Highway EPBC Compliance Assessment Report Preliminary Documentation 2018 (PDF, 13.2 MB)
- EPBC Referral 20178070 (PDF, 8.9 MB)
Preliminary documentation - South Gippsland Highway - appendices
- Appendix 1 - High Risk-Based Pathway Biodiversity Assessment Report for South Gippsland Highway Realignment (PDF, 13.1 MB)
- Appendix 2 - Australian Grayling Targeted Survey (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Appendix 3 - Offset Calculator (PDF, 32.5 KB)
- Appendix 4 - Offset Management Plan (PDF, 4.4 MB)
South Gippsland Highway - attachments
- Attachment 1 - SGH, Black Spur Project Plan (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Attachment 2 - SGH, Black Spur Plan-1 (PDF, 965.9 KB)
- Attachment 3 - SGH, Black Spur Plan-2 (PDF, 976.5 KB)
- Attachment 4 - Vegetation Files (ZIP, 3.5 KB)
- Attachment 5 - Planning Permit 2002 250B (PDF, 480.2 KB)
- Attachment 6 - High Risk-Based Pathway Biodiversity Assessment Report for South Gippsland Highway Realignment (PDF, 13.1 MB)
- Attachment 7 - Survey Plans (PDF, 2.7 MB)
- Attachment 8 - VicRoads Environmental Risk Management Guidelines (PDF, 408.9 KB)
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email and SMS updates for this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.