We’re upgrading intersections along South Road between Nepean Highway and Warrigal Road to reduce congestion and improve travel times.
The Victorian and Federal Governments have committed $45.2 million to improve South Road, a key east-west arterial road that links the Nepean Highway to the Dingley Bypass.
The South Road Upgrade includes:
- construction of a new citybound right turn lane to improve access to Nepean Highway
- new turning lane from South Road to East Boundary Road
- new right turn lane from South Road to East Boundary Road
- installing a pedestrian crossing with traffic lights at Bignell Road
- modifying the South Road, Jasper Road and Taylor Street intersection to improve traffic flow and safety
- installing a pedestrian crossing with traffic lights at Tucker Road
- upgrading the existing bike path from Katoomba street to Patterson Road.
Upgrades to South Road will add to the record development of Melbourne’s south east transport network, making it easier for drivers to get to their destination.
The project will improve safety and reduce congestion for the 40,000 people who use South Road every day.
All road users will benefit from the improvements that will cater for Melbourne’s growing south east now and for future generations.
The project will also investigate the feasibility of implementing peak-hour clearways between Warrigal Road and Nepean Highway.
Between July and August 2019, we consulted with residents, community members and local businesses to understand your parking habits and views on clearways as an option to improve traffic flow along South Road.
Find out more about the consultation and the findings on the South Road Upgrade page on the BigBuild Engage Victoria site.
Construction is scheduled to start late 2021 and be completed by early 2023.
Early next year, we’ll share the proposed designs for the project with you and get your input. We’ll let you know how you can get involved soon.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email and SMS updates for this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.