We’re upgrading intersections along South Road between Nepean Highway and Warrigal Road to reduce congestion and improve travel times.
The Victorian and Federal Governments are committed to upgrading South Road, a key east-west arterial road that links the Nepean Highway to the Dingley Bypass.
The South Road Upgrade will upgrade five key intersections to remove bottlenecks and improve safety:
- construction of a new citybound right turn lane on South Road to improve access to Nepean Highway
- modifying the South Road, Jasper Road and Taylor Street intersection to improve traffic flow and safety
- installing a signalised pedestrian crossing at Tucker Road
- new right turn lane from South Road to East Boundary Road, with improvements to the left turn slip lanes and pedestrian crossings at the intersection
- install traffic lights at the Bignell Road intersection, including new pedestrian crossings to improve traffic flow and safety.
The project will also upgrade the existing bike path on the Nepean Highway between South Road and Cummins Road including upgrading fencing in key locations to improve visibility and safety.
Upgrades to South Road will add to the record development of Melbourne’s south east transport network, making it easier for drivers to get to their destination.
The project will improve safety and reduce congestion for the 40,000 people who use South Road every day.
All road users will benefit from the improvements that will cater for Melbourne’s growing south east now and for future generations.
Construction on the South Road Upgrade is scheduled to start late 2021 and be completed by early 2023.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email and SMS updates for this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.