We’re upgrading intersections along South Road between Nepean Highway and Warrigal Road to reduce congestion and improve travel times.
The Victorian Government is investing $30 million to improve South Road, a key east-west arterial road that links the Nepean Highway to the Dingley Bypass.
The South Road Upgrade includes:
- construction of a new citybound right turn lane to improve access to Nepean Highway
- new turning lanes for the East Boundary Road intersection
- adding new traffic lights at the Bignell Road intersection
- modifying the South Road, Jasper Road and Taylor Street intersection to improve traffic flow and safety
- upgrading bike lanes and footpaths along Nepean Highway between Patterson Road and Katoomba Street.
Upgrades to South Road will add to the record development of Melbourne’s south east transport network, making it easier for drivers to get to their destination.
The project will improve safety and reduce congestion for the 40,000 people who use South Road every day.
All road users will benefit from the improvements that will cater for Melbourne’s growing south east now and for future generations.
Between July and August 2019, we consulted with residents, community members and local businesses to understand your parking habits and views on clearways as an option to improve traffic flow along South Road.
Find out more about the consultation and the findings on the South Road Upgrade page on BigBuild Engage site.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.