The level crossing near Merinda Park Station has gone and we’ve added extra lanes and traffic lights on Thompsons Road to improve safety and travel times.
Thompsons Road is an essential freight and transport route and a vital east-west corridor in Melbourne’s growing south-east region. It intersects with major north-south routes in the area including Mornington Peninsula Freeway, EastLink, Western Port Highway and South Gippsland Freeway, and includes a level crossing with the Cranbourne railway line.
As part of the Thompson Road Upgrade, we have:
- removed the level crossing on Thompsons Road near Merinda Park Train Station
- duplicated Thompsons Road between Frankston-Dandenong Road and Berwick-Cranbourne Road, making it at least two traffic lanes in each direction
- added an additional lane in each direction between Frankston-Dandenong Road and Marriott Boulevard, and between Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road and Berwick-Cranbourne Road
- replaced the roundabouts at Western Port Highway, McCormicks Road and Evans Road with traffic lights
- built new traffic lights at Merinda Park Boulevard to provide access to Merinda Park station
- built new shared walking and cycling paths along the 10.7km duplicated length of Thompsons Road between Frankston-Dandenong Road and Berwick-Cranbourne Road
- landscaped the new Thompsons Road, spreading 16,000 cubic metres of recycled timber mulch and planting 449,000 new plants, improving and maintaining the flora, fauna and ecosystems.
The upgrade has significantly improved traffic flow along Thompsons Road.
Frankston-Dandenong Road intersection upgrade
The Frankston-Dandenong Road intersection upgrade is the final piece of the 10.7km Thompsons Road Upgrade between Dandenong-Frankston Road and Berwick-Cranbourne Road.
As part of the intersection upgrade, we’ll:
- widen the intersection and add two dedicated right-turn lanes and three through lanes on all approaches
- build dedicated left-turn slip lane on each approach to the intersection so vehicles can turn left without affecting the flow of the through traffic
- install traffic lights.
The upgrade will ease congestion and improve traffic flow for the 58,000 people who travel through this intersection every day.
10.7kms of new lanes
New walking and cycling paths
New bridges over train line and level crossing removed
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.