We’re upgrading the Western Highway between Ballarat and Stawell to get you where you need to be sooner and safer.
We’re upgrading approximately 33km of the Western Highway between Beaufort and Ararat, by adding an extra lane in each direction.
Beaufort to Buangor
We finished upgrading a 15km section of the Western Highway between McKinnon Lane and Andersons Road in April 2016.
- filled the steep slope at Boxs Cutting where the new road diverges from the existing route
- added new bridges at Fiery Creek and Charleycomb Creek
- built a new interchange and highway overpass at Eurambeen-Streatham Road
- built new intersections at Ferntree Gully Road/Goulds Lane and Mile Post Lane.
We finished a 6km bypass of Buangor in April 2016.
These works included:
- realigning and relevelling the existing highway
- building three new bridges over Billy Billy Creek
- adding new service roads to maintain local access and road connections to the township of Buangor
- building a new interchange and highway overpass at Peacocks Road, with ramps connecting to the eastbound lanes.
Two new roundabouts were also constructed at key access points to Buangor township.
Buangor to Ararat
The upgrade of the 12km section between Buangor and Ararat will:
- add two lanes in each direction, including extra turning lanes
- build a new bridge over the railway line
- build two bridges over Hopkins River
- add an interchange at Hillside Road, with entry and exit ramps
- build 6km of new road to the south of the existing Western Highway.
We’ll progressively open the highway to traffic as work is completed.
After thorough investigations and community consultation, the Environment Effects Statement (EES) and Planning Scheme Amendment (PSA) processes between Beaufort and Ararat are complete.
We received all major planning approvals which allowed the upgrade between Beaufort and Buangor to go ahead.
The amendments to the Pyrenees and Ararat Planning Scheme Amendments were published on 31 October, 2013. The planning schemes include the reserved land for the upgrade along the Western Highway between Beaufort and Ararat which allowed us to acquire the land required for the project.
- Pyrenees C37 - Pyrenees Planning Scheme (External link)
- Ararat C27 - Ararat Planning Scheme (External link)
Thank you to everyone who participated in the EES and PSA process.
Managing the environment
We're currently working with a range of community groups, organisations and experts to develop our environmental management plan.
In 2016 a review of native vegetation accounting and environmental planning was commissioned to identify key learnings and future opportunities.
Management Plans and EPBC Compliance Reports
An EPBC Compliance Report (2013/14) and Threatened Species Management Plan for Western Highway Project, Section 2: Beaufort to Ararat can be made available from the Western Highway Project office.
- Western Hwy Project Section 2 – Beaufort to Ararat – Threatened Species Management Plan PDF, 7.1 MB
- Western Highway Project Section 2 - Native Vegetation Management Plan PDF, 1.8 MB
- Western Hwy Project Section 2 - Beaufort to Ararat EPBC 20101/5471 Compliance Report June 2017 PDF, 67.2 KB
- Western Hwy Project Section 2 - Beaufort to Ararat EPBC 2010/5471 Compliance Report June 2016 PDF, 420.5 KB
- Western Hwy Project Section 2 - Beaufort to Ararat EPBC 2010/5471 Compliance Report June 2014 PDF, 57.9 KB
- Western Hwy Project Section 2 - Beaufort to Ararat EPBC 2010/5471 Compliance Report June 2015 PDF, 113.9 KB
- Western Hwy Project Section 2 - Beaufort to Ararat - Threatened Species Management Plan PDF, 12.0 MB
- Western Hwy Project Section 2 - Beaufort to Ararat - Weed Management Plan, June 2013 PDF, 3.9 MB
- Western Hwy Project Section 2 - Beaufort to Ararat - EPBC 2010/5741 approved Dwarf Galaxias CMP - version 2 October 2014 PDF, 20.1 MB
- Western Highway Project Section 2 - Beaufort to Ararat EPBC 2010/5471 Compliance Report- 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2018 (PDF, 64.7 KB)
Environmental Effect Statements (EES) Main Report
- Introduction PDF, 1.3 MB
- Project Rationale PDF, 1.2 MB
- Project Approval Requirements PDF, 418.7 KB
- EES Assessment Framework PDF, 254.0 KB
- Project Alternatives PDF, 12.1 MB
- Project Description PDF, 2.7 MB
- Community and Stakeholder Engagement PDF, 349.2 KB
- Planning and Land Use PDF, 1.5 MB
- Traffic and Transport PDF, 2.9 MB
- Soils and Geology PDF, 2.0 MB
- Groundwater PDF, 3.9 MB
- Surface Water PDF, 716.4 KB
- Biodiversity and Habitat PDF, 23.8 MB
- Cultural Heritage PDF, 3.3 MB
- Air Quality PDF, 2.4 MB
- Noise and Vibration PDF, 1.6 MB
- Visual and Landscape PDF, 4.1 MB
- Social PDF, 1.4 MB
- Economic PDF, 1.9 MB
- Matters of National Environmental Significance PDF, 32.0 MB
- Environmental Management Framework PDF, 7.2 MB
- Conclusion PDF, 1.3 MB
- References PDF, 33.9 KB
- Glossary and Abbreviations PDF, 67.7 KB
- Technical Appendix A - Alignment Option 1 PDF, 13.4 MB
- Technical Appendix A - Alignment Option 2 PDF, 13.3 MB
- Technical Appendix A - Alignment Options 1 & 2 Constraints Mapbook PDF, 10.9 MB
- Technical Appendix B - Options Assessment Report
- Technical Appendix C - Planning and Landuse Impact Assessment Report PDF, 20.2 MB
- Technical Appendix D - Traffic and Transport Impact Assessment Report PDF, 4.8 MB
- Technical Appendix E - Soils and Geology Impact Assessment Report PDF, 4.4 MB
- Technical Appendix F - Groundwater Impact Assessment Report PDF, 9.2 MB
- Technical Appendix G - Surface Water Impact Assessment Report PDF, 37.4 MB
- Technical Appendix H - Biodiversity and Habitat Impact Assessment Report PDF, 19.1 MB
- Technical Appendix I - Historical Heritage Impact Assessment Report PDF, 7.1 MB
- Technical Appendix K - Part 1 - Standard Assessment Report - Beaufort to Fiery Creek PDF, 1.3 MB
- Technical Appendix K - Part 2 - Standard Assessment Report - Fiery Creek to Ararat PDF, 1.8 MB
- Technical Appendix L - Air Quality Impact Assessment Report PDF, 2.7 MB
- Technical Appendix M - Noise and Vibration Impact Assessment Report
- Technical Appendix N - Visual and Landscape Impact Assessment Report
- Technical Appendix O - Social Impact Assessment Report PDF, 2.9 MB
- Technical Appendix P - Economic Impact Assessment Report PDF, 1.2 MB
- Technical Appendix Q - Environmental Risk Assessment Report PDF, 21.6 MB
Offset management plans
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.