We're upgrading 8 main roads in Melbourne's west as well as improving and maintaining more than 260km of road from Footscray to Werribee.
As part of the Western Roads Upgrade, we’ve improved safety and strengthened four bridges and a pedestrian overpass in the western suburbs. These works were completed in July 2020.
We’ve completed works at:
- Hyde Street bridge, Spotswood (over Stony Creek)
- Ballarat Road bridge, Flemington (Lynch’s Bridge, over Maribyrnong River)
- Queen Street bridge, Altona (over Laverton Creek)
- Kororoit Creek Road bridge, Altona (over Cherry Creek)
- Geelong Road pedestrian overpass (near Lewis Street).
To improve the safety and strengthen the bridges, we’ve:
- removed old barriers and replaced them with new safety barriers
- installed cathodic protection to protect the metal bridge supports from rust and deterioration
- resurfaced the road on the bridges and on approach to the bridges
- removed features no longer needed such as broken lights.
Following site investigations, works at the below locations were removed from the initial project scope and will be monitored with work to be completed in future if required.
- Geelong Road bridge, Brooklyn (over Kororoit Creek).
- Geelong Road bridge, Footscray (over Cross Street)
- Heaths Road Werribee, pipe culvert.
Hyde Street bridge completion
Ballarat Road bridge completion
Queen Street bridge completion
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email and SMS updates for this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.