We’re upgrading Dohertys Road in Laverton North to improve access to key freight routes and industrial areas.
Major work for the Dohertys Road Upgrade is complete. The upgrade will help increase your connectivity, along with improving road safety. It will also keep cyclists away from cars and heavy vehicles.
West Gate Tunnel Project are relocating a water main along Dohertys Road as part of the upgrade to the M80 interchange. They'll be working on the north side of Dohertys Road from Grieve Parade to Gordon Luck Avenue. Traffic changes including lane and road closures will be required. Signed detours will be in place. They will be working in the area from late August 2021 to mid-April 2021. To sign up to weekly traffic updates or dedicated work updates, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1800 105 105.
In December, we’ll energise the public lighting on the Federation Trail overpass and along Dohertys Road.
In February 2021, we’ll complete the service relocation works and open the remaining slip lane at the Dohertys and Fitzgerald Roads intersection.
Why Dohertys Road?
We’re building a network of improved roads that will improve the flow of traffic in the west. We understand that the current level of disruption in the western suburbs may be challenging and appreciate your patience while we do this critical work.
More than 20,000 cars and trucks rely on Dohertys Road every day. Dohertys Road is a key route within the Western Industrial Precinct, connecting this rapidly growing freight hub to the M80 Freeway Corridor, Princes Freeway, and the Port of Melbourne.
On Dohertys Road, we’ve:
- added an extra lane in each direction from Palmers Road to Foundation Road and from Fitzgerald Road to Grieve Parade
- built a second bridge over the Princes Freeway, to improve road capacity and traffic flow
- upgraded six intersections, including new traffic lights at the entrance of Port Phillip Prison, Fitzgerald Road and Hume Road, and new roundabouts at Gordon Luck Avenue, Cherry Lane and Cyanamid Street
- built a new overpass for the Federation Trail for cyclists and pedestrians to safely cross Dohertys Road
- created a new walking and cycling path along the west side of Dohertys Road.
Transforming this key industrial and freight route has many benefits, including:
- helping freight get to where they need to be safer and sooner
- improving journey times for all road users with extra lanes
- keeping cyclists safely away from cars and heavy vehicles
- boosting road connectivity to some of Melbourne’s biggest growth areas
- providing a more reliable east-west connection to the freeway network.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email and SMS updates for this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.