We’re upgrading Dohertys Road in Laverton North to improve access to key freight routes and industrial areas.
We've completed major works on Doherty Road, with finishing works continuing throughout Spring. The upgrade will help increase your connectivity, along with improving road safety. It will also keep cyclists away from cars and heavy vehicles.
West Gate Tunnel Project are relocating a water main along Dohertys Road as part of the upgrade to the M80 interchange. They'll be working on the north side of Dohertys Road from Grieve Parade to Gordon Luck Avenue. Traffic changes including lane and road closures will be required. Signed detours will be in place. They will be working in the area from late August 2021 to mid-April 2021. To sign up to weekly traffic updates or dedicated work updates, email email@example.com or call 1800 105 105.
In October, we'll:
- complete the service relocation and other finishing touches to the lane duplication works between Fitzgerald to Gordon Luck Avenue
- complete building the Federation Trail Overpass ramps
- complete the finishing works on the bridge over the M1 Freeway
- progress building the walking and cycling path, and landscaping from Fitzgerald Road to Gordon Luck Avenue
We'll keep our roadside electronic message boards up to date to show any changes. Keep up to date by visiting Victoria's Big Build for disruptions across the road and public transport network.
Why Dohertys Road?
We’re building a network of improved roads that will improve the flow of traffic in the west. We understand that the current level of disruption in the western suburbs may be challenging and appreciate your patience while we do this critical work. The Western Roads Upgrade is due to be completed by early 2021.
More than 20,000 cars and trucks rely on Dohertys Road every day. Dohertys Road is a key route within the Western Industrial Precinct, connecting this rapidly growing freight hub to the M80 Freeway Corridor, Princes Freeway, and the Port of Melbourne. The upgrade will help increase the productivity to boost Victoria’s economy. We will increase road safety and keeping cyclists away from cars and heavy vehicles.
On Dohertys Road, we’re:
- adding an extra lane in each direction from Palmers Road to Foundation Road and from Fitzgerald Road to Grieve Parade
- building a second bridge over the Princes Freeway, to improve road capacity and traffic flow
- upgrading six intersections, including new traffic lights at the entrance of Port Phillip Prison, Fitzgerald Road and Hume Road, and new roundabouts at Gordon Luck Avenue, Cherry Lane and Cyanamid Street
- building a new overpass for the Federation Trail for cyclists and pedestrians to safely cross Dohertys Road
- creating new walking and cycling path along the west side of Dohertys Road.
Transforming this key industrial and freight route has many benefits, including:
- helping freight get to where they need to be safer and sooner
- improving journey times for all road users with extra lanes
- keeping cyclists safely away from cars and heavy vehicles
- boosting road connectivity to some of Melbourne’s biggest growth areas
- providing a more reliable east-west connection to the freeway network.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.