We're making it easier for you to travel north and south between the Western and Princes freeways.
Palmers Road, Truganina
As part of the upgrade, we'll be closing the intersection at Palmers and Sayers Road from Friday 26 June to Monday 13 July. Delays are expected. Detours will be in place.
Palmers Road intersection
- Freya Drive intersection closed from Thursday 18 June until early August
- The entrance to the Palmers Road service road, near the corner of Opsum Way closed to the end of July 2020.
In July we’ll:
- continue upgrading the intersection of Sayers and Palmers roads. The intersection will be closed for two weeks from Friday 26 June to Monday 13 July
- continue major works on Overton Road north east corner from Monday 22 June to Monday 20 July
- start major works on Overton Road south east corner from Wednesday 22 July to Saturday 22 August
- close the intersection of Boundary and Palmers roads each night from Monday 13 July to Wednesday 22 July to remove the roundabout
- close the intersection of Leakes and Palmers Road on Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 July to commence intersection upgrade
- commence upgrading Dunes drainage system at the intersection of Boundary Road and Palmers Road
- continue works on the Federation Trail
- close Australis Drive at Palmers Road from Friday 31 July to Monday 31 August.
In August, we'll close Ashcroft Avenue at Palmers Road from Monday 3 August to Monday 31 August
These dates are subject to change and are dependent on weather. We'll keep our roadside electronic message boards up to date to show any changes. You can also keep up to date by visiting Victoria's Big Build for disruptions across the road and public transport network.
Moving traffic to new lanes and changed traffic conditions
We’ve started to move traffic onto the new traffic lanes. Once traffic has moved onto the new lanes, we’ll lay new asphalt on the old lanes.
Drivers should be prepared to change from one side of the road to the other.
To help you with these changes, you'll be guided by:
- temporary line markings
- signs and traffic bollards, and
- traffic controllers, who will be on site to guide drivers.
Why Palmers Road?
More than 20,000 cars and trucks rely on Palmers Road every day.
It provides important access to the Western Freeway in Truganina and the Princes Freeway in Williams Landing. It also connects residents in Melbourne’s growing outer west to Williams Landing shopping centre, bus services and the train station.
We understand that during peak times, you experience big delays on this this road.
This upgrade will make traffic and public transport flow better so you can get to where you need to be sooner and safer.
On Palmers Road, between Princes Freeway and Western Freeway we’re:
- adding two extra lanes in each direction between Princes Freeway and Sayers Road
- adding one extra lane in each direction between Sayers Road and Boundary Road
- adding two extra lanes in each direction between Boundary Road and Western Freeway
- upgrading intersections
- building new walking and cycling paths and a new overpass for the Federation Trail
- straightening out Palmers Road at the Sayers Road intersection
- introducing bus jump lanes at key intersections.
Here are just some of the benefits you’ll enjoy with the Palmers Road upgrade:
- improved journeys between two major freeways in the west
- better access to public transport, jobs and community hubs
- safer walking and cycling options
- getting you places sooner and safer by upgrading intersections and straightening out Palmers Road.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.