We're making it easier for you to travel north and south between the Western and Princes freeways.
Current and upcoming closures:
- Palmers and Leakes Road intersection from 8pm Friday 27 November to 5am Monday 30 November
- Davenport Drive at Palmers Road to early December
- Sunshine Drive at Robinsons Road from 8pm Friday 4 December to 5am Monday 7 December.
Temporary Access Changes
We've closed right turn lanes at:
- Robinsons Road, Agar and Calarco Drive intersection. Drivers will need to enter left in, and exit left out to 7 December
- Palmers Road and Sedgefield Avenue intersection. Drivers will need to enter left in, and exit left out from 30 November to 7 December.
Night asphalting works
From mid-November until late December, we’ll be closing intersections along Palmers and Robinsons Road to complete asphalting. Each intersection will be closed for up to five nights from 8pm to 5am.
To view a complete schedule of works, please visit Victoria's Big Build.
Moving traffic to new lanes and changed traffic conditions
We’ve started to move traffic onto the new traffic lanes. Once traffic has moved onto the new lanes, we’ll lay new asphalt on the old lanes.
You might need to change from one side of the road to the other.
To help you with these changes, we'll guide you with:
- temporary line markings
- signs and traffic bollards, and
- onsite traffic controllers.
Why Palmers Road?
More than 20,000 cars and trucks rely on Palmers Road every day.
It provides important access to the Western Freeway in Truganina and the Princes Freeway in Williams Landing. It also connects residents in Melbourne’s growing outer west to Williams Landing shopping centre, bus services and the train station.
We understand that during peak times, you experience big delays on this this road.
This upgrade will make traffic and public transport flow better so you can get to where you need to be sooner and safer.
On Palmers Road, between Princes Freeway and Western Freeway we’re:
- adding two extra lanes in each direction between Princes Freeway and Sayers Road
- adding one extra lane in each direction between Sayers Road and Boundary Road
- adding two extra lanes in each direction between Boundary Road and Western Freeway
- upgrading intersections
- building new walking and cycling paths and a new overpass for the Federation Trail
- straightening out Palmers Road at the Sayers Road intersection
- introducing bus jump lanes at key intersections.
Here are just some of the benefits you’ll enjoy with the Palmers Road upgrade:
- improved journeys between two major freeways in the west
- better access to public transport, jobs and community hubs
- safer walking and cycling options
- getting you places sooner and safer by upgrading intersections and straightening out Palmers Road.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email and SMS updates for this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.