We're making it easier for you to travel north and south between the Western and Princes freeways.
Palmers Road, Truganina
We've started the first stage of construction along Palmers Road. We're currently building new lanes behind safety barriers on the existing road reserve.
We’ll continue to excavate and undertake earthworks in three locations:
- Boundary Road to Agar Drive, Derrimut.
- Sayers Road to Monet Drive, Truganina.
- Ashcroft Road to Sayers Road, Williams Landing.
In December and January we’ll:
- continue building the new traffic lanes behind barriers near Sayers Road and Ashcroft Avenue
- continue building the embankment and start concrete footings for the new Federation trail overpass across Sayers and Palmers Road
- lay asphalt on new traffic lanes and continue to build new walking and cycling paths in the Truganina area
- continue to install stormwater drainage near Dohertys Road, Wildebrand Avenue, Schembri Drive and Sedgefield Avenue
- construct new pavement for additional traffic lanes on Dohertys Road
- commence installation of new traffic signals near the Palmers and Dohertys Road intersection.
From Monday 6 January 2020, we’ll temporarily close a section of Dohertys Road between Palmers Road and Jessica Way in Truganina for four weeks. For the latest traffic updates and to plan your journey, visit Victoria's Big Build.
Why Palmers Road?
More than 20,000 cars and trucks rely on Palmers Road every day.
It provides important access to the Western Freeway in Truganina and the Princes Freeway in Williams Landing. It also connects residents in Melbourne’s growing outer west to Williams Landing shopping centre, bus services and the train station.
We understand that during peak times, you experience big delays on this this road.
This upgrade will make traffic and public transport flow better so you can get to where you need to be sooner and safer.
On Palmers Road, between Princes Freeway and Western Freeway we’re:
- adding two extra lanes in each direction between Princes Freeway and Sayers Road
- adding one extra lane in each direction between Sayers Road and Boundary Road
- adding two extra lanes in each direction between Boundary Road and Western Freeway
- upgrading intersections
- building new walking and cycling paths and a new overpass for the Federation Trail
- straightening out Palmers Road at the Sayers Road intersection
- introducing bus jump lanes at key intersections.
Here are just some of the benefits you’ll enjoy if you live in this busy residential area:
- improved journeys between two major freeways in the west
- better access to public transport, jobs and community hubs
- safer walking and cycling options
- getting you to places sooner and safer by upgrading intersections and taking the ‘kink’ out of Palmers Road.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.