We’re upgrading Yan Yean Road between Diamond Creek Road and Kurrak Road to make journeys in Melbourne's north quicker, easier and safer.
As part of Stage 1 of the Yan Yean Road Upgrade, we will:
- remove dangerous road bends
- widen the road from one to two lanes in each direction between Diamond Creek Road and Kurrak Road
- upgrade the intersections at Diamond Creek Road, River Avenue, Memorial Drive, Browns Lane, Kurrak Road and the Nillumbik Shire Council Recycling and Recovery Centre with traffic lights and signalised pedestrian crossings
- widen and install safety improvements at the Mackelroy Road intersection
- add a centre safety barrier
- add service roads to give safe access to residential properties
- build a new shared walking and cycling path along the full length on the west side of the road
- build new footpaths along sections on the east side of the road.
View the final detailed design (PDF, 5.2 MB) to see how the upgraded road will look and function.
View the Connectivity map (PDF, 137.4 KB) to see how you'll get around your local area when the upgrade is complete.
Here’s what we’re doing to manage environment and heritage in the local area:
Managing construction impacts
We minimise dust and dirt by:
- monitoring air quality to make sure all construction works comply with Victorian guidelines
- reducing the speed of our construction vehicles
- watering earthworks, especially on windy days
- covering truck loads and stockpiles.
We manage noise and vibration by:
- offering property condition surveys for buildings near the project area before works begin
- scheduling noisy activities in daytime working hours, wherever possible
- monitoring noise and vibration levels during construction
- prioritising forward movements of all construction vehicles and equipment to minimise use of reverse beepers.
How the works may affect you
If you live and work in the area, you may hear noise while we upgrade Yan Yean Road. This will be during daylight hours, between 7am and 5pm.
We may need to undertake works at night to minimise disruption to your journey. If we need to schedule night work, we’ll let you know in advance.
If we’re doing works in your area, we’ll make sure you can access your property.
We’ll update you on our progress through our website, with resident letters and road signs.
BMD is the construction partner delivering the first stage of the Yan Yean Road Upgrade.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for submitting your feedback on the website.
There was an error submitting the form.